I Got into a Car Accident, What Do I Do Now?
Being in a car accident is a stressful time for all involved. There may be confusion, anger, shock, and worry about the financial ramifications. Still, it is important that you take the proper steps after an accident, for legal, as well as health-related, reasons.
1. Stop immediately: Even if it’s a very minor collision, and you are positive that no person was injured and there is no damage; it is still your legal responsibility to pull over and access the situation. Not doing so could result in your being charged with a hit-and-run.
2. Call the police: They will send a traffic division officer to the scene to take a standard traffic collision report.
3. Report any injuries to the police: The traffic division officer will note the particulars of your injury/s on the collision report. It is important that your injuries have been documented if you choose to file a personal injury claim at a later date.
4. Get evaluated by a doctor: Even if you feel your injury is inconsequential, the pain is minor, and all you need is a dose of aspirin; you should still be evaluated by a physician. Many injuries, such as whiplash, can take hours, days, and even weeks, to be fully realized. Early treatment of such injuries can expedite your recovery.
5. Take pictures: Use your phone to take photos of the vehicles and license plates involved in the accident. Also photograph any damage to your vehicle and the other vehicles involved. If you feel that street signage or road conditions may have contributed to the accident, use your phone to document them as well. Most importantly, take photos of the insurance cards and driver’s licenses of the other party or parties.
As soon as possible after the accident, reach out to an experienced Los Angeles car accident attorney. The seasoned legal team at Novik & Stanley, A Professional Law Corporation, can provide you with the representation you need to get the compensation you deserve. Dial (888) 355-5552 for a free consultation.
We'll fight to make it right!
Contact Us Today at (888) 355-5552 for a Free Consultation
NO UP-FRONT COSTS!
If you think hiring an attorney is too expensive, think again! By following our legal advice, our clients pay zero fees and have zero out-of-pocket costs until we win or settle their case. Guaranteed.